You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘kali-linux’ tag.

I was setting up today my new Windows7 laptop. And, as every single Windows laptop I’ve had before, I set up a Linux VM on it. Although on my other laptop I run a paid VMWare Workstation Pro license, in this particular license I am running the free VMWare Workstation 14 Player.

I currently have two VMs set-up, a custom Ubuntu one that I use mostly for development and tests and a Kali-Linux one. If you are interested in radio security, you must install the kali-linux-sdr and kali-linux-wireless packages. Such a convenient way to get all your favorite tools nicely installed on your machine.

By the way, when setting up the Kali image, for some reason, the apt sources were not properly configured and I could not apt-get install kali-linux-sdr and kali-linux-wireless. A quick update of /etc/apt/sources.list fixed the issue. You can get the url to the various package repositories here (note: several of the ones listed do not actually work).

Anyhow, once all my sdr and radio tools are ready to run, I got to the main issue at hand. It is quite well known that running USB devices from within a VM is prone to errors and rather imperfect. Things seem to work fine when, upon plugging my USRP B210, it would be recognized by the driver and connected to the VM.

Running uhd_usrp_probe appeared to work well, as it loaded the firmware onto the USRP, but then it just couldn’t locate the device anymore. For some reason the VM gets lost in translation as, once the firmware is loaded, the USB device essentially changes and the VM loses it. And it took me quite some time to get it to work. I was close to leaving it for another day until I found a solution that worked well on both the Kali and Ubuntu images. Instead of running uhd_usrp_probe or any other application that probes and uses the USRP, the trick is to run first the b2xx_fx3_utils tool. Its path might be different depending on how you installed UHD, but in the Kali image it is in /usr/lib/uhd/utils. After running this tool the firmware is updated on the USRP and, from that moment on, everything works just fine. You will need to do this trick each time that you unplug the USRP and plug it again, as the firmware will need to be updated again.

When I thought I was done, I am actually facing a new challenge. Installing OpenLTE on Kali doesn’t work as cmake cannot find the UHD libraries. Most likely a permissions or weird installation path on Kali for UHD. But this is one that I’ll procrastinate in fixing as I switched to doing all my development and experimentation for my LTE exploits security research with srsLTE.

Ever since becoming a father I’ve had very little time for research, but I have some new LTE protocol exploits in the kitchen being cooked. Once I have enough time to put together results and a talk, you’ll see me on the road to talk about it. I’m aiming for Spring time.

Happy new year everyone!

EDIT: A lot of people has been asking me about this. What this fixes is the USRP itself being used from within a VM. This does not fix the ancient issue of VMWare with USB3 drivers. If you need to run something with the USRP that requires USB3 (e.g. an LTE base station at full 10MHz and ~30Msps), that will be VERY hard to do from within a VM. You are much better off by creating a partition to run native Linux on your laptop for that.

If anyone ever manages to get the USRP over USB3 working from within a VM, please please please let me know!

Advertisements

About me:

Born in Barcelona, moved to Los Angeles at age 24, ended in NYC, where I enjoy life, tweet about music and work as a geek in security for wireless networks.
All the opinions expressed in this blog are my own and are not related to my employer.
About me: http://rogerpiquerasjover.net/

Blog Stats

  • 135,159 hits

Twitter feed

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Advertisements